Sevenoaks Rail Travellers’ Association (SRTA) aims to represent the interests of commuters using Sevenoaks and stations nearby – Bat and Ball, Dunton Green, Eynsford, Kemsing, Otford, and Shoreham. There are about 4.8 million passenger journeys a year to and from the Sevenoaks area, according to the latest ORR data, making Sevenoaks one of the busiest stations in Kent.
While our primary focus is on the Sevenoaks and Otford areas, that also means that we campaign for improvements to the South East Main Lines through Sevenoaks to Ashford and Hastings, and for improvements to Southeastern services more generally. For that reason we have members and supporters from elsewhere in Kent who do not have another active local group to represent them.
We are proud of the positive feedback we receive from members and supporters.
We lobby railways management, regulators and planners, and are often asked for comment and contributions by local newspapers and broadcast media. These efforts have secured longer and more frequent trains, as well as better facilities at local stations.
We press for commuters’ interests on a wide range of local concerns such as –
- timetabling and performance
- ticket machines
- car and cycle parking
- other station facilities.
We also make representations on wider strategic issues affecting the local and regional rail network.
These include the –
- timetables, services during engineering diversions and passenger information during the London Bridge rebuilding
- the proposals by the Mayor of London to take over the “metro” services from Sevenoaks to London via Dunton Green
- services patterns from 2018, to ensure that Sevenoaks gets some of the benefit of the Thameslink investment.