Southeastern plan to re-introduce “Tavern Cars” on their services, if they win the new South East Franchise from April 2019. First introduced by the nationalised British Railways on services from Waterloo in 1949, the Tavern Cars aimed to create a … Continue reading
Sevenoaks Rail Travellers Association are still working through the over 900 pages of small print of the Department for Transport’s specification for the new Southeastern franchise. Main points so far are:
- A cut in peak hour fast commuter trains to London – from ten in 2013 to eight in 2022. That means more overcrowding.
- A 50% cut in direct trains to and from Tunbridge Wells. Local commuters and school students could have to wait 30 minutes.
- No more direct trains from Sevenoaks to Hastings.
- No extension of the proven TfL Oyster/Contactless payment system to Sevenoaks.
- No extra seats between Sevenoaks and London
Our Bat & Ball correspondent, Keith Alderman, has now retired. However he’s now making good use of his Senior Railcard! This month’s delays: a total 53 minutes for four days travelling, Southeastern 22, Thameslink 31. Delay Repay Claims; total 1 … Continue reading
The Sevenoaks Rail Travellers Association has responded to the Consultation Paper on the 2018 Franchise.
Our recommendations for the next Franchise include:
- the extension of the Oyster-Contactless system to Dunton Green and Sevenoaks.
- a “carnet” ticket system for part-time and flexible workers.
- an obligation that ticket machines should sell the cheapest ticket for the journey.
- staffing at all stations and station toilets to be open throughout train service hours.
- a “turn up and go” service for assisted travel.
- all-night services from London via Sevenoaks to Tunbridge Wells.
- an additional refund for season ticket holders in case of chronic under-performance.
- measuring performance by whether customers are on time, not whether trains are on time
- recycling into a performance improvement fund excess compensation paid by Network Rail to Southeastern.
- representatives of customers and of local authorities on the board of the operating company.
In the Direct Award period 2014-2018 Southeastern committed to greater transparency. Part of this has been to publish monthly performance targets and actual figures by route. However the targets are only published at the same time as the actual performance … Continue reading
The Department for Transport are holding one of their series of public consultation events at Sevenoaks station concourse on Monday 10 April from 1600 to 1900. This follows their session at our Annual General Meeting last year; now they are … Continue reading