There’s a problem with tickets issued with the Goldcard discount for holders of annual season tickets. It seems that the ticket barriers are programmed not to open automatically with them. Instead the customer is expected go to the ticket barrier staff to have their ticket and their card inspected. That’s inconvenient and wastes time.
The assumption of the rail companies seems to be that a customer using a Gold Card discounted ticket is a criminal until proved otherwise.
That’s a strange way for a business to treat its most loyal customers.
I discovered a ticket purchasing problem when I tried to buy an advance single from Waterloo to Ryde Esplanade and the same type of ticket for my return journey. National Rail Enquiries offered a £20.80 fare each way. However, when … Continue reading
The Sevenoaks Rail Travellers Association has responded to the Consultation Paper on the 2018 Franchise.
Our recommendations for the next Franchise include:
- the extension of the Oyster-Contactless system to Dunton Green and Sevenoaks.
- a “carnet” ticket system for part-time and flexible workers.
- an obligation that ticket machines should sell the cheapest ticket for the journey.
- staffing at all stations and station toilets to be open throughout train service hours.
- a “turn up and go” service for assisted travel.
- all-night services from London via Sevenoaks to Tunbridge Wells.
- an additional refund for season ticket holders in case of chronic under-performance.
- measuring performance by whether customers are on time, not whether trains are on time
- recycling into a performance improvement fund excess compensation paid by Network Rail to Southeastern.
- representatives of customers and of local authorities on the board of the operating company.
Southeastern are slipping in a second rise in fares this year. Some popular fares are going up by 3.4% from 21 May – so an off-peak return from Sevenoaks to London Terminals rises from £11.90 to £12.30. That’s in addition to … Continue reading
We have been working hard on our responses to the many questions in the consultation paper on the requirements for the new Southeastern franchise from December 2018. There’s lots to say, and we will be sharing some of our draft … Continue reading
The ticket vending machine at Bat & Ball has been out of service for the last few days. The “Out of Service” screen simply says that. Since it’s a programmable screen, it could have been specified to say anything. An … Continue reading