The Sevenoaks Rail Travellers Association has responded to the Consultation Paper on the 2018 Franchise.
Our recommendations for the next Franchise include:
- the extension of the Oyster-Contactless system to Dunton Green and Sevenoaks.
- a “carnet” ticket system for part-time and flexible workers.
- an obligation that ticket machines should sell the cheapest ticket for the journey.
- staffing at all stations and station toilets to be open throughout train service hours.
- a “turn up and go” service for assisted travel.
- all-night services from London via Sevenoaks to Tunbridge Wells.
- an additional refund for season ticket holders in case of chronic under-performance.
- measuring performance by whether customers are on time, not whether trains are on time
- recycling into a performance improvement fund excess compensation paid by Network Rail to Southeastern.
- representatives of customers and of local authorities on the board of the operating company.
Southeastern are slipping in a second rise in fares this year. Some popular fares are going up by 3.4% from 21 May – so an off-peak return from Sevenoaks to London Terminals rises from £11.90 to £12.30. That’s in addition to … Continue reading
We have been working hard on our responses to the many questions in the consultation paper on the requirements for the new Southeastern franchise from December 2018. There’s lots to say, and we will be sharing some of our draft … Continue reading
The ticket vending machine at Bat & Ball has been out of service for the last few days. The “Out of Service” screen simply says that. Since it’s a programmable screen, it could have been specified to say anything. An … Continue reading
The National Audit Office have published the results of their investigation into the South East Flexible Ticketing programme, of which Southeastern’s “Key” is part. It’s not good reading for the Department for Transport, or for the rail industry more generally. … Continue reading
The Department for Transport have this morning published their consultation document about the specification for the next Southeastern franchise starting in December 2018. On a quick read it has some general statements such as “more space for passengers” “reduce delays” “We want … Continue reading